Iran has warned that United States military bases, facilities, and strategic assets in the region would become “legitimate targets” if Washington proceeds with military threats or launches attacks against Tehran, according to an official communication sent to the United Nations.
Amir Saeid Iravani, Iran’s ambassador to the United Nations, delivered the warning in a formal letter addressed to UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres and the President of the UN Security Council. The letter, obtained by AFP, expressed strong concern over escalating rhetoric and growing military tensions between the two countries.
The warning comes amid heightened regional tensions following the deployment of US warships, fighter jets, and additional military hardware to the Middle East under orders from US President Donald Trump. Washington says the deployments aim to prevent Iran from developing a nuclear weapon — an accusation Tehran continues to deny, insisting its nuclear program is strictly peaceful.
Speaking on Wednesday, Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian reiterated that Iran does not seek armed confrontation but stressed that Tehran would not submit to external pressure.
“We do not want war,” Pezeshkian said, adding that while he has believed since taking office that conflict must be avoided, Iran would not accept attempts to impose foreign demands or humiliation.
In his letter, Iravani referenced a social media post published by Trump in which the US president suggested Washington could use British military facilities — including a base located on an island in the Indian Ocean — if Iran refuses to reach an agreement with the United States.
Iravani described the statement as “belligerent,” warning that such rhetoric signals a genuine risk of military aggression whose consequences could be catastrophic for the region and pose a serious threat to international peace and security.
He urged the UN Security Council, the organization’s highest decision-making body where the United States holds veto power, to ensure that Washington immediately halts what Iran described as unlawful threats involving the use of force.
Despite the sharp warning, the Iranian envoy reaffirmed Tehran’s commitment to diplomacy, stating that Iran remains prepared to pursue negotiated solutions on a reciprocal basis and address concerns or ambiguities related to its peaceful nuclear program.
However, Iravani cautioned that any military aggression against Iran would trigger a defensive response in which “all bases, facilities, and assets of the hostile force in the region” would be considered legitimate targets.
President Trump has repeatedly raised the possibility of military action against Iran. His administration has cited both Tehran’s nuclear activities and a recent deadly crackdown on anti-government protests as justification for increasing pressure.
On Thursday, Trump said Iran had no more than 15 days to reach an agreement with Washington, again warning that failure to do so could result in US military strikes.
His remarks followed diplomatic contacts held Tuesday in Geneva, where US envoys Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner — the president’s son-in-law — engaged in indirect discussions with Iran’s top diplomat. Iranian officials indicated that some progress had been achieved during the talks.
Earlier negotiations had collapsed after Israel launched surprise strikes on Iran last June, triggering a 12-day conflict during which the United States briefly joined military operations targeting Iranian nuclear facilities.
In another post on his Truth Social platform Wednesday, Trump again suggested that military action remained an option as the United States continued reinforcing its military presence across the Middle East.
He also warned the United Kingdom against relinquishing sovereignty over the Chagos Islands in the Indian Ocean, arguing that the Diego Garcia airbase could be required if Iran fails to reach a deal, describing the move as necessary to prevent a potential attack by what he called a “highly unstable and dangerous regime.”
Meanwhile, The Wall Street Journal reported that Trump has been briefed on a range of military options designed to inflict maximum damage on Iran. According to unnamed US officials cited by the newspaper, proposals under consideration include a campaign targeting numerous Iranian political and military leaders with the stated objective of toppling the Iranian government.
Iran and the United States recently held a second round of negotiations mediated by Oman, which took place Tuesday in Geneva. Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said Tehran and Washington had agreed on certain “guiding principles” during the discussions. However, US Vice President JD Vance stated that Iran had yet to acknowledge all of Washington’s red lines, indicating that significant differences remain between the two sides.
No country can deprive Tehran of enrichment rights, Iran’s atomic energy chief says







